Saturday, January 16, 2021

My Take on the Windy Girls Baby Quilt

One of my previous graduate assistants had a previous baby boy in July 2020. I actually finished this quilt prior to his arrival but just didn't get a chance to photograph and mail it before he arrived! It did make it to him before he turned two weeks though! 

I had this darling woodland fabric that would work perfectly in his nursery! Plus I had the other fabrics on hands! #fabricstash for the win!

(c) Crafty Ashley B

I struggled for a bit to find the perfect pattern to show it off but happily across this pattern Jedi Craft Girl called the Windy Girls Quilt.

I did size it down a bit from a finished size of 12" squared to 10" squared. I did this by sizing down what the original pattern referred to as the white dot strip from 2.5" to 1.5". I also cut the block down to 6.5". 

Saturday, January 9, 2021

Pixelated Heart - Take TWO!

Back in 2017 I made a pixelated heart quilt for a church friend. During the summer, I made it again for a new church friend who had a little girl in March 2020. I was finally able to gift it to her during July 2020.

I also made two matching doll quilts - one for her older toddler and one for the new baby as well! Unfortunately it appears my photo storage didn't back up those photos properly! So I do not have any photos of them. 

Here is the baby quilt though! I love the bird fabric and had did the fabric pull a couple of years ago but never made it. I'm glad I waited!

(c) Crafty Ashley B

I pieced the top by cutting strips, sewing them together and then cutting them down. I then unpicked the blocks as needed to make the chevron pattern. Not sure if that description makes any sense! 

Friday, January 1, 2021

My Son's Baby Quilt - Irish Chain Quilt

It seems only fitting that the last thing I blogged about what the delivery of my son and his quilt and the first new thing should be his quilt! Plus his second birthday is only a few days away!

I encountered quite a large creative block when it came time to make my son his baby quilt. For some reason, no pattern or fabric was quite good enough for him. Due to his enlarged kidneys, we knew for the second half of my pregnancy that I would be induced at 38 weeks. Which actually changed when I was at the 34 week mark to 37 weeks. So I definitely had a firm deadline! 

When I was around 29 weeks I finally decided to do an Irish chain using a simple 9-block utilizing jelly roll strips. But I still couldn't do it - I didn't make the first cut until right after I found out that our induction was moved! In about a week's time I pieced the top but just could not manage to quilt it before I was going to have him! 

As I shared previously (here) my son arrived via an unplanned C-section after a failed induction. My recovery went well and I would say by the time he was 4 weeks I was feeling "normal". 

Every week we took a photo of him on the quilt and around the 6 month mark I finally felt up to trying to quilt it. I quilted it on the diagonal so each pass actually took a good amount of time! I would usually do two or three passes at a time. 
(c) Crafty Ashley B